Operator - Filter/Pump
Company: City of Elyria
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*The City of Elyria is currently accepting applications for the
position of Operator - Filter/Pump at the Water Pumping Plant
located in Lorain, OH.*
*GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: *
Operates both the filter and pump sides of the plant. Makes hourly
rounds and runs hourly chemical tests on the water. Adjusts
chemical feeders, makes rate changes, washes filters, turns pumps
on and off, fills chemical day tanks, unloads chemicals, fills
sludge truck, etc., this is not an inclusive list. Any person hired
into the Water Plant as an operator shall be required to pass the
Ohio EPA Class I Water Supply Operator Test. The person hired shall
have 24 months from the appointment date to obtain the
certification/OIT. Failure to obtain the Class I certificate in 24
months shall result in that person's transfer to a different job
and/ or department, at the City of Elyria's discretion.
*WHILE SERVING AS AN OPERATOR: *
1. Performs the necessary chemical testing on the raw (Lake Erie)
water, plant tap, and various locations throughout the plant, and
adjusts chemical feeds as required.
2. Observes other variations in operating conditions and makes
adjustments to feeders, pumps etc. as needed.
3. Performs filter backwash procedures as outlined and records
4. Responsible for checking all pertinent equipment on a regular
basis and makes minor repairs. Also responsible for reporting to
the supervisor(s) all needed repairs, breakdowns, problems,
5. Monitors various gauges, meters and control panels, throughout
the plant, security system, and SCADA System.
6. Operates valves either manually or by remote control.
7. Maintains shift logs and recordshourly, daily and all readings
as required, daily meter, gauge, and test readings as required.
8. Collects various water samples and performs the required
analysis on the samples.
9. Maintains the proper chemical solutions for analysis and
chemicals for treatment.
10. Uses a computer to control and monitor water treatment
11. Aids in keeping clear all snow from walkways needed to carry
out the operator's duties in a safe manner.
12. Must be available for emergencies during off-duty hours
13. The operators are responsible for contacting appropriate
personnel to fill in shifts.
14. Maintains good housekeeping practices.
15. Performs chemical analysis on the Water.
16. Responsible for compliance with all established safety
standards and regulations.
17. Assists with sludge processing, monitoring sludge pumps, sludge
shack, head house, decant tanks, decanting, opening and closing
18. Monitors the Distribution system, towers and pump stations and
makes rate changes as needed.
19. Makes _*hourly*_ inspection rounds of the plant and records
data as directed.
20. Performs any and all maintenance tasks as outlined and
instructed by his designated supervisor(s) and/or Leadman, which
may include tasks normally performed by laborers, service workers
and or skilled maintenance.
21. Performs all other related tasks as directed by the
1. Working knowledge of maintenance and repair of miscellaneous
2. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working
relationship with all plant personnel and managers.
3. Skill in use of bench and hand tools, machines and equipment of
the mechanical trades.
4. Possession of a High School degree or GED is required.
5. Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
6. Must be in possession of, and continually maintain, a valid Ohio
7. Must have and continually maintain a working telephone (proof
will be required and records must be kept up to date).
8. A Class I Water Supply License as issued by the Ohio EPA is
*required, *or a minimum of an Operator in Training (OIT)
Certificate is preferred.
9. Must obtain the *mandatory *operational certification for
chemical analysis of water from the Ohio EPA within 3 months.(
needed to operate the plant)
10. Must have ability to understand and follow oral and written
11. Must be trustworthy and dependable.
12. Skill in operating the various pieces of departmental equipment
and lab testing equipment.
13. Must demonstrate regular and predictable attendance.
14. Must be able to perform heavy manual labor, which includes
lifting, reaching, stretching, and bending.
*KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: *
Knowledge of safety procedures associated with operations of a
Water Plant. Must have ability to identify unsafe conditions of
equipment and facilities and take the appropriate action. Must have
the knowledge of, and ability to use tools, meters, and equipment
common to the water treatment industry. Must have the ability to
make independent decisions regarding operations of the Water Plant
equipment and facilities. Ability and interest to expand knowledge,
skills, and abilities in the maintenance and operation of the Water
*EQUIPMENT OPERATED: *
The following are examples only and are not intended to be
Plant vehicles, pumps, motors, valves, chemical feeders, computer,
Tablets, IPads, SCADA computer, and various meters such as Chlorine
titrators, DPD meter, pH meters, Turbidity meters, and misc. lab
testing equipment used in the Water Plant operations.
*INHERENTLY HAZARDOUS OR PHYSICALLY DEMANDING WORK CONDITIONS:
Has exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid and/or windy conditions while
making rounds as Filter Operator job duties requires. Has exposure
to various chemicals used in the water treatment industry. Has
exposure to varying degrees of noise.
*SCHEDULE OF HOURS: *
Will work rotating shifts of days, afternoons, and nights,
including some weekends and holidays.
Shifts: 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m., 11:00 p.m.-7:00
\*\*\*Will involve some overtime per Union Contract\*\*\*
This position demands off-schedule hours, call-in hours, stand-by
work, and other non-routinely scheduled duties. Incumbents must
understand that their flexibility is second to the City's work
demands during times of weather or service emergencies.
Interested applicants can apply on line at
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $46,600.00 - $48,000.00 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Health savings account
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Evening shift
* Night shift
* Overnight shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Lorain, OH 44053: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before
starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: City of Elyria, Lorain , Operator - Filter/Pump, Other , Lorain, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!